Friday, February 18, 2011

Grands Krispy Kreme Donuts

This week Festival Foods have Grands Biscuits for $1 each.  That price is excellent.  However my refrigerator is already well stocked with these from sales at Piggly Wiggly, but it's hard not to pick up more when I have $1/3 coupons that I picked up from shelves a few weeks ago.   I use these biscuits for pizza crust (both regular pizza and breakfast pizza), cinnamon rolls and just biscuits that I serve with casserole and roasts.  Well yesterday I got thinking a few years ago I had tried making donuts from Grands but they didn't turn out well.  It wasn't the donut part that was the problem it was the glaze or sugar coating I didn't like.  So I got thinking we don't have a Krispy Kreme around here anymore and I really liked them (even tho Quik Trip has a donut that is very very close to Krispy Kreme)  Anyway I thought I'm going to try it again.  So I googled Krispy Kreme copycat recipes and I found the recipe for the glaze.  The day before I changed the oil in my fryer so I started with new~clean oil in my fryer which was set to 375 degrees.  I grabbed a can of Grands and I stood there thinking what can I use to cut a hole in the middle.  None of my cookie/biscuit cutters are small enough.  I then thought about taking a cap from a bottle of Coke.  Sure enough perfect size.  So I cut holes in all the of the donuts and then made the glaze while the oil was getting hot.  First melt 1/3 cup of butter (I used margarine) once melted removed from heat and stir in 2 cups powered sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.  Stir until smooth.  Then add 1 tablespoon of water at a time and blend until smooth.  I used 2 tablespoons.  By then the oil was heated to 375 degrees.  I put 2 Grands in the oil at the time.  It took about 2 minutes to get golden brown on one side so I turned it over at that point.  Wait another 2 minutes until golden.  Remove from oil and put it on a paper towel to drain off the oil.  Then quickly dunk into the glaze, make sure both sides are coated. Then I let them cool on a cooling rack I used for cookies and a cookie sheet to drain off the excess glaze!  Once cooled enjoy!!  These are awesome.  If I didn't know they were Grands biscuits I would never have guessed.  So worth the calories and time.  However the time it took was about 20 minutes tops to do this.  Quicker then making brownies or cakes.  They are buttery and moist on the inside.  So good.  So another reason to buy these when they are on sale and I have coupon.
Grands Biscuits
This is the Coke Cap that made the holes like this
Raw..
Frying
Plus you don't have to waste anything... Fry the dough cut from the middle for donut holes.  Which I used sugar as the coating.  I could have dunked them in the glaze because I had lots of glaze left.  But I wanted to try something else.  They loved the donut holes too!!
Finished donuts!!!  Yum!
Here is the recipes and there is also a chocolate frosting recipe I'm going to try next time... and yes there will be a NEXT time!

Ingredients

Doughnuts


    • 1 can of Grand Biscuits
    • Heat oil to 375 degrees
    • cut holes in biscuits
    • fry donuts until golden brown (2 minutes per side)
    • Dip into glaze while warm
    • Or let cool and frost

      Creamy Glaze

    • 1/3 cup butter
    • 2 cups powdered sugar
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 4 -6 tablespoons hot water

      Chocolate frosting

    • 1/3 cup butter
    • 2 cups powdered sugar
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 4 -6 tablespoons hot water
    • 4 ounces milk chocolate chips or 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips


Directions

  1. Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surface); drain.
  2. Dip the doughnuts into creamy glaze set on rack then when slightly cooled spread chocolate frosting on top.
  3. Dip in sprinkles or other toppings after chocolate if desired.
  4. Creamy Glaze: Heat butter until melted.
  5. Remove from heat.
  6. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
  7. Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
  8. Chocolate Frosting: Heat butter and chocolate over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat.
  9. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
  10. Stir in water 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency. (I used 2 tablespoon)


No comments: