Monday, January 11, 2010

Here we go!!

I'm starting my journey in redecorating my kitchen and living room.  My husband and I built this house in 1993.  My husband designed the house.  We then took his plan to an architect to have the "offical" plans for the builder.  Our builder was my husbands cousin.  We were to break ground in February 1993, however it started raining, didn't stop for a few months and the ground was to wet.  We did all the contracting ourselves.  So by the time we broke ground we we're high all the subcontractors lists.  The basement was dug in mid June and we moved in Labor Day of that year.  Everything fell in place.  We did much ourselves, with help from family and friends.  Well now 17 years later it time to replace the worn flooring, countertops, lights and install a dishwasher.  The kitchen and living room hasn't been painted since we built.  However there has been some touch ups here and there.  I'm so excited to finally have the kids old enough that they aren't rolling their cars, horses and building with Lincoln Logs or Lego on the kitchen floor.  Please follow my blog on a step by step adventure!!!




I didn't have a dishwasher put in when we built because I really didn't want one.  I really wanted a built in range and cooktop.  So I talked my husband into the built ins instead of the dishwasher.  We had custom oak cabinets made for the house.  (They were very expensive, the price of a brand new car at the time.  So they are stay just as they are)   When we designed the cabinets for the kitchen we had a cabinet next to the sink that we could take out with ease if ever we wanted a dishwasher.  Well the time has come.  It should a "easy" job to install it.   I have never had a dishwasher except for the restaurant where I work, which is a commerical dishwasher.  So it should be an interesting adventure right there.  I know that I want a dishwasher with stainless stain interior.  What do you like and what would you not be able to live without as features??  Love to hear your ideas and experience. 

My flooring in the living room will carpet again.  I really like my berber that I have in here now and will be looking at that again.  However I would to have a gold and black carpet, we'll see if I find any.


The kitchen will be vinyl again.  But the highest grade that I can find.  Because with Henry running around all the time on the floor I can see where his claws have dug into the floor.  The floor we had installed when we built was a very low quality floor.  Also with my daughters computer chair rolling around by her computer, which in the kitchen I can see major wear in that area.  So I have to go with a very high quality flooring in the kitchen.  I would love to have tile, however I don't want to deal with grout and we don't wear shoes in the house so in winter tile floors would be cold.  Hardwood or laminate is out, we have to much stained wood in the house for that.  The contrast would be to much.


I have already picked out new lights for the kitchen.  Just waiting for them to go on sale.  I have a large hanging light over the 5 foot island and a matching hanging light over the sink.  Those will be replaced.  I also have spotlights in the ceiling.  My kitchen is so well lit that I think we could land a jet.  Then over the kitchen table there is a ceiling fan with lights.  The fan and lights will stay.  They we're replacement a few years ago.  The lights and fan in the living room will also stay because they are newer also.



The kitchen and living room is white.  I've thought long and hard on this.  I think it will white again.  I would like a color, however first and fore most I have a large hanging clock (3 feet around) which is black and white and I really love and have no plans to get rid of it.  Next all my light switches and outlets are white, really don't want to replace those.  Plus my refrigerator and built in oven is white.  Now that is the last reason because I'm ready for a new refrigerator.  It's a side by side and I'm not especially in love with it.  There isn't any room in the freezer part.  I would love to have a freezer on the bottom.  However the refrigerator and freezer works great.  So if I have it in the budget it might get replaced and the old one would be sold.  The oven door is white and that could be painted.  In our old home we also had a built in oven that was green and we painted it white and it looked brand new.  So that is fixable to be another color.  But my clock is the biggest reason with going with white again.  I really love this clock.  I will hire someone to paint this area for me.  I usually do all my painting myself, however we have cathedral ceilings with 2 skylights.  I know your saying so what.  Well I'm not good on a ladder.  I get on the second step of a ladder and the ladder starts to shake because I'm a wimp when it comes to heights!!!  My husband is great on a ladder but hates to paint.  Well he hates the part of painting around wood work and such.  So this project will be hired out.  Now I just have to find someone that wants to do this job for a picky person.  I hate paint on my wood work!!


Now for the countertops.  I'm looking at Quartz for that.  I have a 5 foot island that we use all the time.  That's where we eat every meal except for holidays.  We do everything there, cook, do projects, homework, making sausage, fix anything and everything.  It's the heart of our house.  I have laminate.  It is so worn in the work areas and the island.  The island will have larger over hang on each end.  The one end will have at least 8 inches added on and the other end will have 4 inches.  And the width will stay the same.  I need more room because we always have my kids friends over, so larger eating area would be great.  I have done the measurements.  I have a tons of countertop, 54 square feet, without the new longer ends on the island.  This will be a pricey item for the kitchen, but it will be well worth it.  I want quartz because it doesn't need any care such as sealing etc...  Very durable.  I need that bad.  I don't know anyone that has quartz, all my friends and family either has granite or laminate.  So if you have any advice or opinions on quartz I love would to hear about it.


There will a few small things that I haven't mentioned yet.  But will blog about it when the time comes.  I will take before and after pictures as this project gets started.  Now that I have an idea of what I want in certain areas.  Now the search begins.  Colors and price will be the biggest things on my mind.  I have a budget and I must keep all my wants within that budget.  I also want to buy a new TV in the living room.  The old 50 inch analog big screen will go down stair for the kids to play the Wii on.  I have a good idea what I want 52" or bigger Sony or Samsung.  So that will have to fit in the budget too.  I will give you all the details afterwards so keep on eye on my blog!!!  I will do updates all the time.

No comments: