Monday, April 5, 2010

Grandma's Hope Chest Repurposing as a Coffee Table

Back about 12 years ago my grandma on my mothers side passed away.  She is greatly missed.  I inherited her hope crest.  This is what I know about it.  These hope crests were produced between 1920-1930.  Grandpa had bought it for grandma sometime about 1933.  Grandma used it up until she passed away.  It showed it a lot of wear on the outside.  The was stain that was rubbed off in spot, lots of scratches and some of the veneer is missing.  I always wanted it so that was the one thing I got from Grandma.  I used it right from the start as a coffee table, just as it was.  After the house makeover was done I felt I wanted something different, but what would I do with the Hope Chest?  I really didn't know, except I wanted to keep it.  So after some thought I decided I wanted to paint it, however I didn't know if my mom was ok with that.  If I painted it would the value decease??  Was there any value to this piece???  So I asked mom and she said it's mine and I should do with it what I wanted.  However when I was getting ready to paint it, mom came over, she seemed leery that it would turn out well.  So after she left I went on ebay to check to see if I could find one and what the condition was.  Well there was auction that was completed for one exactly like mine.  It was painted and distressed.  I emailed mom the pictures of the auction.  I loved it and the selling price was $425 plus $100 for shipping.  That sealed the deal for me.  I started painting it on the spot.  Later that night mom called me she looked at the auction and she said paint it!!!  I had already started.. LOL!!  
Before
This is with primer
This is finished
Of course Henry had to get in the photo.  Don't you just love it!!  I wish I had painted it long ago.  I did not distress it.  I might distress it after it starts to show wear.  Sorry folks I won't be selling it any time soon!!

No comments: