Friday, March 12, 2010

Rummage Sale Season 101

Rummage Sale season is about a month away here.  The weather has been warm so maybe they will start earlier.  However you maybe thinking about having your own sale..  Do it, they can be fun if your prepared.  Start now gathering up items that you want to part with.  Clothes, decor items, kitchen items, and toys are just a few ideas.  Clean closets, shelves, garage, basement, kids rooms and office.  If it doesn't fit, wrong color, no one even knows the items is in the house... get rid of it.  This is a great rule, that I can't seem to follow...  When you bring something home you have to give up something that is in your home!!!  I know it sounds scary, but if you buy a new t-shirt get rid of an old one.  If it's in good condition sell it at your rummage, if it's stained use it as a rag. 

When you find something you want to get rid of decide if you want to sell, donate it or throw it away.  I have a bag in the basement just for donations.  When I find something I want to donate it goes right into the bag.  When the bag gets full I drop it off at Good Will.  (A great excuse to stop in and see what they have).  Anyway when I find something I would like to sell at my rummage sale I tag it right away, then drop it in a tote.  I keep a tote for just rummage sale items.  Right now I have 6 totes full of stuff that is tagged and ready to go.

I would like to talk about what I do for marking my items.  I use the string tags from Walmart. $1,77 for 100. For items that you can't string the tag on, I use safety pins through the little hole on the string tag, works great for clothes, pillows, linens and plastic bags. For books and decor that I can't string or pin the tag to, I use painters tape to tape the string tag on the item. Painters tape is easily removed without any damage... ever. Yes the tags do some times fall off or can be easily taken off and switched by some nasty buyers. So I write on the tag what the item is. Writing what the item is also works great if you are doing a sale with someone else. Then they also know where the tags belongs. Please do not use masking tape.  Masking tape only ruins items. I can't stand when I find a great cookbook, in near perfect condition, to only have the seller remove the masking tape and take a portion of the cover with it. Or when I buy a decor item and when the tape is removed it ruins the item. I know it's probably easier for the seller, but it can also ruin the item and the buyer rejects it... sadly.


Signage is so important, even though you have your address in your advertisement.  It goes beyond a rummage sale sign at your corner and on your lawn.  Signs are a must on busy intersections at the end of your street.  I have seen people putting signs up across town.  People can't read signs when they are traveling 25-35 mph.   So clear simple signs are important.  Rummage Sale at 544 S Ryan St with an arrow is perfect.  Use large cardboard or poster board.  Don't use 10x8 inch paper, everything won't fit with the large writing you will need.  Plus if it rains paper will only fall apart.  Also don't put up your signs until the day of the sale.  And please, please take the signs down when the sale is over.   Where to advertise? Everywhere...  newspaper, internet sites that are set up in your area, tell everyone you know your having one and Craigslist.  Check with neighbors to find out if they are having a neighborhood sale.  If they are, join them you might not have to advertise at all, however you might be asked to chip in for the ad!! 

When to have the sale?  Holiday weeks are not a good time to have it, unless you live on a heavily traveled highway.  You will get holiday travelers.  Event weekends are good, if your area has a picnic, sporting events or shows.  That would be a good time.  In my area Thursday and Fridays are "the rummage days".  But check your classified ads as when most rummage sales occur in your area.  Be prepared with a back up plan if you have to put items outside.  If it rains can you move everything in side?  If you have tents to shade shoppers from the sun or keep the shoppers dry use them

Most people will have big bills, like $20's, however chances are they are only going to purchase less then $4 worth of stuff.  So have lots of 1 dollar bills on hand.  And of course quarters.  If this is your first time hosting a rummage sale, ask for help.  Especially if young kids are present.  Their distraction can cause adding and change mistakes.  Plus it's sad to say it but there are shoppers out there that will switch tags or try to distract you to pocket something without paying.  So ask a friend or a family member to help you.  Someone that has experience in having a sale is a plus.  Also if they want to bring some of their things would be great, bigger the sale the more people buy.  What works great if time allows is one week you have it at your house and the next week move everything left over to the helpers house and have it again there.  This only works if you still have lots of stuff left over.

Any questions?? Let the rummage sale fun begin!!!

No comments: